Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Triple Bypass + yesterday & today's training

So my dad and I did the Triple Bypass on Sunday. This was the reverse ride since we couldn't get into the original. My dad is the one who got me into cycling and running, so I still love to ride or run with him whenever I get the chance. Here is a picture of us before the ride.



I have to say,  I think it was harder this way... As you can see, it was damp, but that really wasn't an issue until about mile 90, when there was a torrential downpour for about 5 minutes.  Any way, I finished, had a blast, and got the chance to speak with some sponsors, which is exciting! You may be seeing some logos on this page in the near future!

Yesterday, being that I had ridden 124 miles the day before, was something of a recovery day.  I swam with the masters team again, mostly aerobic and IM stuff. The only remarkable set was at the end of the workout; 5x100 IM's on 1:20 where I held 1:07 to 1:08 (SCY).  "Taking the Ferrari out for a spin" as my coach called it, (he thinks I am faster than I actually am).  I did also do an easy ride, about an hour and a half, no higher than Z2, just to spin the legs out.

Today on the other hand is a big training day, as will be the rest of this week.  I am going to start with a 45 minute tempo run, with 12 minutes above threshold. Then this afternoon I am going to do a base ride with a few sprints in it, probably around 2-2 1/2 hours.  After warm up I will be looking to keep above 20 MPH with a high (90+) cadence.  I will try and work it out so that I will end up at the DU pool at 7 PM so I can swim with the masters' team, and then head home!

I wanted to end on a restaurant shout-out here. In Vail on Saturday night, we stayed at the Cascade Resort, which had an on-site restaurant called the Atwater. They had a very innovative approach to everything, it seemed. I had a bolognese made with bison and whiskey, and it was delicious. The whiskey really lent its woody flavor to the gamey bison meat, I wanted to lick the sauce out of the bowl... but I refrained... and the desserts were all beautiful, colorful, and somehow mature and elegant while being childish and fun! If you are in the area, I would highly recommend the Atwater at Vail Cascade Resort.

Well, gotta run! (literally...) Happy training and eating! Keep that pace rabbit in front of you!

2 comments: