Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pre-Triple Bypass training day!

What's up guys?  So tomorrow I have the Triple Bypass bike ride (the reverse one, starting in Avon, finishing in Evergreen).  For those of you not familiar with the Triple it is a 124 mile bike ride that summits 3 mountain passes; Vail Pass, Loveland Pass, and Juniper Pass.  I did this last year with my dad for the first time, and (believe it or not) we enjoyed ourselves so much we decided to do it again!

That in mind, my training today is pretty light.  I swam this morning with the DU Masters team, about 4k (which I will outline below) and this evening I will do an easy 7 miler base run.  I am trying to build my running base back up after a recent foot strain.  Being a swimmer for so many years gave me flippers... not feet... so I am trying to turn these things I stand on into runners, which is an ongoing process!

Here was the main swim set:

  2x through the following: 300 Moderate on 3:30 (I went a 3:10 and a 3:12 really low HR), 2x150's on 1:55 middle 50 fast (I was about 1:35, with the first and last 50's pretty chill), and then 3x100's on 1:10 (I went between :58 and 1:02, I would've liked a little more consistent speed, maybe holding :57 to :58)

I have really solid endurance right now, I just need to work on some front-end speed.... story of my life!

Also, I wanted to give a restaurant shout-out.  I ate at Rock Bottom last night and had the Lobster and Shrimp mac n' cheese.  It was super good!  I think they put smoked gouda in the sauce, and it gives the dish this really subtle smokiness that I LOVE!  My only complaint was that the shrimp was a bit overcooked, which is understandable being that it was probably baked with the mac, and I would've liked a little more color and texture, maybe a breadcrumb crust?  Overall, I would give it an A-

I'd love to hear your comments or questions or feedback. It's a beautiful day here in Denver, go for a ride!  Until next time, keep chasing that pace rabbit!

1 comment:

  1. The triple bypass sounds lika a pretty intense/beautiful ride. I can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete