Thursday, July 21, 2011

Swim mental trick

Aside from the compartmentalization I mentioned in my last post, here is another good mind trick for the swim leg of a triathlon. 

3)Swim:
Now you all probably know by now that my background is in swimming, but a pool is a heck of a lot different than open water. I still get panicky sometimes in races (you mean there's no black line to follow??!!) and it is very easy to lose focus. An easy trick I do that helps me focus and keeps me from that weird panicked feeling is counting strokes. I am not looking for anything exact since there is no way to judge, but counting my strokes keeps them consistent and steady. I set up a rhythm of stroke-breathe-stroke-breathe-stroke-sight. Setting up a rhythm like this will help you break the daunting swim down into bite-sized chunks. Best of luck!

Yesterday I went for a ride up in Evergreen. Started in Bergen Park and went up Juniper Pass (one of the passes from the Triple Bypass) and back. It was great to get out of the city for a while. I love riding in the mountains, the heat coming off of the pavement, the smells of earth and hot pine, and a silence so complete that the sound of wind through the pines seems deafening. Next time I go up, I will be sure to get some pics to post for you guys, but keep in mind, this kind of beauty does not want to be captured by camera, you've gotta see it firsthand to feel it!

That ride was about 30 miles, and with a 12 mile round trip to the pool I was just over 40 miles for the day. The swim was really solid, I am feeling very strong in the water lately. I descended a set of 4x200's free on 2:25, starting at 2:06 and got down to a 1:57, all the while below threshold heartrate, which is pretty solid for me right now.

Well today I begin to taper down in preparation for the Omaha Triathlon on Sunday. I am really excited about this race as it was my first win ever when I did it last year. Well thanks for reading everyone, I hope you enjoy these as much as I enjoy writing them.

Its too hot for a run... so go for a swim!

No comments:

Post a Comment