Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Transitions trick

The trick to a good race is compartmentalizing. On each individual leg of the race, it is crucial to be completely focused on that leg, not thinking about what is to come or what has already happened. Here is an example of a mind trick I use in transitions that helps with compartmentalizing.

2) Transitions;
Again, I use my imagination a lot on this one... but do remember I am a closet nerd. Basically I imagine that in transitions there are machines that change me from a swimmer to a cyclist to a runner. Sort of like in Iron Man, where the machines take off/put on the iron man suit for Robert Downey Jr. 

I know it sounds really weird but for me it really helps me focus on what I am doing. In the water I am a Chip Peterson, on the bike I am a Fabian Cancellara, and on the run I am Usain Bolt... (I know, he is a sprinter, but he is also awesome)... And I have these sweet Iron Man machines to help me through it all!

I had a really solid training day today. This morning I ran a 6 mile tempo run with 12 minutes at threshold in which I held sub-6 pace and felt pretty cruise-y. Then this afternoon I went to Washington Park with Libbie and Sev (my sister and her boyfriend/my roommates) for some interval work on the bike. 

I did 10 laps around the park, which are two miles each, and alternated easy and hard laps. The park is gorgeous, flat, and protected from the wind. Also, there are more attractive women running/walking/cycling around the path than I could shake a stick at... literally, I tried, the stick broke. But I digress, on the hot laps I held around 22-25 mph with a few sprints, and on the easy laps I tried to hold right at 18 mph. If you couldn't tell, I really liked this park!

Well today was hot and busy and I am hoping for another one just like it tomorrow! You stay classy, Denver, and follow that Pace Rabbit!

No comments:

Post a Comment