Friday, July 15, 2011

Laramie!

So, at some point I was going to have to give a shout out to my former city, Laramie, Wyoming. This is where I went to college, where I became a triathlete, and before that where I became a racer. I know that swimming for UW made me who I am today, and I will never forget my team, my coaches, my friends, the university or the city as a whole.

I still go up there once a week for an OEC class. This class will allow me to work as a ski patroller, a forest ranger, or pretty much any job in the outdoors. On my drive up yesterday, looking out at the clear blue skies, green grass, distant snowcaps and complete lack of other people, I couldn't help but think "why did I move away again?"

I unpacked and went for a bike ride on my Cervélo P2 (my time-trial/triathlon bike... pretty much my girlfriend, I call her Sara... she lights up my life!) I was planning on doing one of my old usual rides, a triangular loop called Soldier Springs Road, which is about 8 miles. I would do this 3 times, going moderate out, hard across, and easy back. Biking there and back it wound up being about 32 miles, just like I remembered! I held around 18-19 mph going out (into the wind), about 29 going across (cross-winds, maybe slightly pushing me along) and 27 easy going back (tailwind... yeah, it was that strong)

What I had forgotten was what its actually like to ride in Laramie. The roads are so cracked, you might as well be on the cobblestones in the Tour. The winds that sweep across that godforsaken plain are full of hatred and malevolence. I could literally be down in my aerobars, spit facing down, and my forearms would stay dry. I had forgotten how demoralizing a Laramie headwind is. I hear some of you saying "no way dude, I am a kiteboarder, winds love me!" Not these winds. They hate you. I now thought "oh yeah, this is why I moved!" That being said, there is a different kind of accomplished feeling that comes with completing-and surviving- a ride in Laramie.

I decided to have a recovery day in the pool, just a 1000 easy! But, I did have a great track workout! My friend Mac who is a runner for UW and her dad who is an amazing running coach gave me this workout. It was 2 times through 6x400's on 2:30, I only did it once through (sorry, Mac, I am trying not to push my fins too much until they are actually feet!). I got a little overexcited on the first one and went a 1:10, but then I was able to dial it back and hold consistent 1:14's for the rest of them! Given higher altitude, tired legs, and my first track workout for 3 weeks, I was pretty happy!

My next post will be about the mental aspect of triathlon and a few tricks I use to conquer my own mind. Until then, let the pace rabbit set the pace, get down in your aero's, and HAMMER IT!!

Happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment