Friday, July 29, 2011

DGTD!!

So, yesterday was a good day. It was a good training day. No, it was a damn good training day... a DGTD if you will. I will tell y'all about it shortly, but first here is the last mind trick!


5)Run: 
I am not a runner as I have said before. This is the hardest leg for me, and not just because it comes last. On the run, I do a combination of the above two tricks. I count my strides to keep my cadence high (I like it to be 90+) and I again imagine I am on TV and the intelligent-sounding British announcers are talking about what a bad-A I am... Again, this is just to keep me motivated and positive. 

The last, most important thing I do on the run is relax. Sam Hewson, who was an awesome swimmer and a great swim coach once told me to "relax" before a swim meet. I know it sounds like simple advice, but that day it really hit home. He didn't mean don't be nervous, because that is impossible, what he meant was physically relax. I tried it in the water that day, just racing without tensing up, not forcing it. Something that simple really made a difference in my racing. Since that day you'll always see me racing with relaxed shoulders, arms and hands, a slack jaw, and a smile.

In the morning I went to pick up my Kangen water and found a high school track to do some speed work. The main set was 6x400's on 2:30 3k pace, I held about 76-77 seconds, followed by 6x400's on 2:00 looking for a little closer to race pace, and I held 85's really easily. I don't know why 10 seconds makes such a difference?

Later in the afternoon I went to Washington Park again for some intervals on my bike. I did 4 rounds of 2 laps fast, holding over 22 MPH, and one lap easy. By the end, my legs were wrecked! Here is a map of the park... I will get a picture of it next time I go but this will have to do for now, click on it to enlarge.


After the intervals I pedaled down to DU's pool for a bit of a cool down and some sprints, just to keep my feel for the water up. It was such a good day because by the end of it I was completely exhausted and couldn't wait to get to bed.

I know I promised a recipe for today, but Libbie isn't here, which is bad for two reasons. First, I don't have her sweet camera to take pictures of the food, and second because she would be upset if I cooked and Sev and I ate it all without her. So, I will hold off on the food till this weekend. Until then, go for a run, its a perfect day for it! Follow the Pace Rabbit.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for saving your cooking until I come home! What's on the menu for tomorrow night?!?!

    Miss you broseph!

    ReplyDelete