Tuesday, January 8, 2013

When to Say When

One of the hardest parts about training for me is knowing when to say when. I know I sound like a bad triathlete cliché (I mean seriously, no one is going to admit that they totally love having a day without a workout... especially not you non-draft, type-A weirdos) but I am not good about knowing when to take a recovery day for myself. Sure, I enjoy my scheduled recovery days, I think of them as a gift of time. I go snowboarding, play guitar, and do other things that make me Sam Holmes.

However, when I have a day of training scheduled and I am totally beat, I have a hard time seeing the big picture and letting it go. I struggle through the workouts and dig a deeper hole rather than burning a workout or two and getting back to myself. This is a bad idea on a lot of levels... generally speaking, it can make you sick, get you hurt, or at the very least give you a week of bad to mediocre workouts rather than one day without.

I can always tell when I am getting depleted. I am hungry and tired all the time (and not in a good way), I can't get to sleep at night, my resting HR is high, and I have no sex drive... sorry mom, your son is a grown man!

Today I could feel it coming on, I was hangry (hungry+angry) and sluggish during the morning swim, and I hadn't gone to sleep right away last night which is very weird for me. Also, its Key West, there are bikini-clad women everywhere (sorry, RVB), and I was barely lifting my eyes! Zane saw all this happening, and since he has the force (actually I think he is Shifu, from Kung Fu Panda) he saw my day not going well and gave me the afternoon off.

It was actually super nice. I got some studying done, ate an awesome breakfast (lobster omelette and a pancake?? Get outta here! Check out Blue Heaven if you're ever here in KW) and did some shopping... yes, I am a straight dude who enjoys a good shopping session. You know those people who say they never find clothes that fit? I'm not one of them...

Every once in a while, I recommend you take a step back and ask yourself "would a break from (insert your profession here) this afternoon benefit me more in the long run than grinding it out?" For me, today, it did. Until tomorrow, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment