Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Life

Yes, I did miss a post yesterday. It was a long day of travel, and by the time I got into bed and realized I had forgotten to blog, I was too tired to be bothered with it. Instead, I will give you a double dose today!

This post is about something I wish I had known going into triathlon. I honestly know it would not have changed my decision to pursue the sport, but maybe I would have done things a little bit differently. In a nutshell, triathletes are not rockstars.

Maybe to some it seems obvious, and I knew it deep down, but I didn't want to believe it. In order to make it in this sport, you have to be both very good and very frugal. Yes, sometimes you have to give up your orange mocha frappuccinos on a training trip in order to buy your plane ticket home. Yes, you have sometimes have to buy off brand rice and beans for a month in order to save money so you can go to that race in Mexico where you may or may not get into the prize money. It means budgeting, giving up some comforts while traveling, and asking for support anywhere you can get it.

Honestly, I have grown to love it. I used to try and act like being a professional meant I got to be a baller like Lebron and Kobe, but now I embrace being broke and no longer try and act like I have made it big around my exes (although when I do I will totally be sure they know about it). I now proudly tell the crotchety old men I wait on at the restaurant that yes, I have graduated, but no, I don't want a real job because I am a triathlete. The look on their faces is worth the shitty tip!

I am finally learning how to travel cheaply, and hopefully this will mean I can actually turn a profit off of being a professional this year... along with a little help from some prize money if I keep working hard!

So next time you see a pro triathlete like myself trying to act like D-Wayde, just put a hand on his (or maybe her... but since girls are more sensible, probably his) shoulder, tell him its ok, and give him a free bowl of soup... he's probably hungry. Until later this evening, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment