Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sunday Funday!

Today was a pretty solid day in the life of Sam Holmes. In college, Sundays kinda sucked. You've got a wicked combination of a hangover mixed with the impending doom of the oncoming week, but now as a professional triathlete I have grown to like Sundays. I usually have either a long run or a long ride, which are my two favorite workouts all week, and Monday is often a day off, so its sort of like my Friday!

This morning I got up for a 100k ride with Terra. It was a perfectly gorgeous morning (although I feel like that's about standard here in Key West) and it was a great big gear ride. I like big gear work (which is when you over-gear, so you have to pedal really hard at a low cadence, it helps develop strength) and I made all the target heart rate ranges. We even stopped at a local coffee shop on the way back to get some ride fuel!

There is nothing like having ridden 62 miles before 11 am... were you even awake yet??

After the ride I went to lunch at a little diner called Sandy's. I guess its sort of a local thing, so there was the standard grumpy guy complaining loudly about the tourists in line ahead of him. (Sorry for coming to your town and spending money, bro). But the staff was awesome and so was the food. I got a breakfast platter ('cuz it always sounds good!) with eggs, sausage, grits, refried beans and Cafe Cubano.

If you ever get the chance, try Cafe Cubano. It is a double espresso brewed with cane sugar, so it gets this nice crema on the top and has a super sweet flavor... frickin delicious... and a nice buzz! Caffeine + Sugar = Sam loves everyone.

This is gonna sound weird, but the best part of the dish was the refried beans... I don't know how they did it, but they had this meaty, spicy flavor that was different from how I'd ever had them. I literally licked the bottom of the bowl until the older couple next to me started judging...

After lunch, I strolled around old town Key West. Ok, now I see why people come here! Forget everything bad I've said about this place, Key West is legit. Old town is full of little shops, restaurants, houses, and churches, and reminds me of a cross between Savanna, Georgia and Estes Park, Colorado. I love it! Everyone was out in their Sunday best and it seemed like everyone was very polite and friendly... or maybe that was just the Cafe Cubano...

After a nap and some studying I had a track workout with Zane. We made some good corrections, and got some good times. After the suggestion from him, I inundated Zane with questions today. I have made it a goal to come up with at least one question from every workout.

Well tonight was kinda lame, but so am I... after a dinner of rice and beans I may or may not have watched a chick flick by myself and read Game of Thrones (if you haven't started reading it yet, you probably should) before writing this post! Until tomorrow, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment