Monday, January 14, 2013

Catching Up

So, I realize I haven't blogged for the past 3 days. I also realize I said I'd blog every day for a month... sorry about that. One day I could make up, but not three. Kinda like bike workouts; I could maybe squeeze in a makeup 40k, but not a 135k tempo ride. So, I'll log that I missed my workout (blog posts) and hope my coach (you) doesn't get too mad!

In my defense I did not have internet on Friday, and I was traveling Saturday and Sunday. Yes, I left the warmth of Key West and traded it for the comfort of home... and 17 degree weather!

Leaving Key West is a bit of a process... I can only imagine what it would be like if there was a hurricane! The road (yes, there is only 1) that leaves the islands is old, and one lane in most places. The speed limit is like 45 MPH, so yeah its a solid 3.5 hour drive to get the 100 some odd miles. At least it was entertaining to talk shop with Zane and sing Beach Boys with Terra!

I camped out in the Ft. Lauderdale airport on Saturday night. Now, in a pinch (and on a budget!) this works pretty well, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Its cold (even in Florida) the loudspeaker gets annoying, and there's that whole thing about having a bunch of strangers around...

Sunday I landed in Denver. Flight still amazes me sometimes, it is crazy to get on a plane, and 4 hours later get off in a different world. Ft. Lauderdale was 80s and humid, Denver was 10 (as in 10 degrees) and snowy. Then, I got in my car and drove the 5 hours back to Kearney for a taste of normalcy again!

I was surprised how much I missed my home, my dog and my friends and family. I mean, I lived away from home for 6 years! I think what I missed most was just being rooted down; I'd been living out of my suitcase for 3 weeks straight.

My goal now is to continue the solid training I'd put up in Florida... although now instead of worrying about having enough water and not overheating I have to worry about staying warm and not slipping on ice. As of today I've kept it up, and I see no reason why I can't throw down again tomorrow. Until then, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment