Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Art of Napping

Its my favorite time of the day; nap time! In fact, I already want to take a nap tomorrow. A nap for me is like hitting the "refresh" button on your day. It gives you a chance to start over if you need to, or just allows you to recharge the batteries to take on the rest of the day.

The power nap: 
This one was perfected by my dad, and fortunately I inherited this ability from him. Some days, in the early afternoon, I will lay down on my back and just shut my eyes. After 5-10 minutes, I wake up, feeling refreshed! Some people say they can't do it, but the trick for me is being slightly less-than comfortable... like lying on your back on the floor!

The cat nap:
As its name implies, this is the act of shutting down in the middle of the day for an hour or more. Had a tough workout this morning and got another one tonight? Cat nap! Up too late *ahem* reading and now feeling sleep deprived? Cat nap! My only problem with these is the inevitable grogginess... its not a good cat nap unless you wake up and immediately want to either eat a bowl of cereal or go back to sleep.

La Siesta:
Pioneered by our friends in Spain, this is the act of zonking out for a half hour or so after a hearty lunch. Sometimes I am so hangry (see yesterday's post) after a morning workout I have to eat a ton at lunch time, which inevitably results in a food baby. The only way to abort that (offensive? yeah, sorry...) is a food coma, also known as a siesta!

Today for me included a solid cat nap. Good thing I allowed enough time to hit the snooze button 14 times and then get coffee before my run! Until tomorrow, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment