Monday, August 15, 2011

Boulder Stroke n' Stride

Hey Guys! So last Thursday I decided to compete in the Boulder Stroke n' Stride that evening at the Boulder Reservoir. Yes, this was a very last-minute decision, but I knew this race series is pretty low-key so I wasn't too worried.

The Stroke n' Stride is a series of races on Thursday nights in the summertime in Boulder. They consist of either a 750 meter swim option or a 1500 meter swim option and a 5k run. There is also just a 5k run option if you're so inclined. I would definitely recommend this series to someone just wanting to get their feet wet (no pun intended) in multisport. The entry fees are super cheap, it is a great low-key atmosphere, and I mean, look at that venue!

Unfortunately, this was the last of the series for this season. (It makes me sad! Is summer really over?? I say no way!) They start again next June, and you can bet I will be going to a lot of them! I came in second overall out of the 1500 swim/5k run option. I had swam about 3k and biked that morning, so I didn't exactly feel fresh. Out of the gates I was in 4th on the swim, but I eventually passed all but one guy in the water, who I then passed in transition. I had chosen not to wear a wetsuit, which made that transition a lot faster!

On the run, I took it out a little too fast I think. At the one mile marker I looked down and saw 5:40 on my watch... on tired legs at altitude, this was probably a bit... um... over-zealous for me. Eventually I settled into my pace, but a professional did pass me with just over a mile to go.

In any case, this race was a ton of fun, a beautiful day, and a great tune up for Age Group Nationals this week! I will do a post sometime tomorrow about Nationals and the pro-qualifying process because frankly, its kinda confusing! Thanks for stopping by everyone, and until next time, keep following that pace rabbit!

No comments:

Post a Comment