Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fueling the Fire

Some days, the fire that burns up training is fueled by happiness. Being in a good mood makes training a breeze, and you can crank out miles and log all kinds of hours with a smile on your face and a song in your heart....

Some days, this whole concept of "happiness" is stupid. The whole world is trying to piss you off, and its working. On days like this, I say let the anger and frustration fuel the fire. In my experience, it is just as effective (and in some cases much more so) as a positive attitude.

Some days, for whatever reason, I am sad. Now granted, with me, this is a pretty rare occasion. I am a pretty happy guy, but it does happen and when it does I don't feel like training. In Psych 1000 Dr. McKibbin taught us that anger is a much more productive emotion than despair, so what do I do when I am sad? You got it, I turn it into anger! If someone has hurt my feelings, I rip open a brick workout until my legs are searing just to spite them.

The point I am getting at here is turn whatever emotion you are feeling into something that you can train off of. If I am feeling lazy, I will often literally set a training goal for myself for the day that I think is somewhat unattainable, just so I can go do it to spite myself. Maybe I've got a chip on my shoulder, but this attitude of "use what you've got" works for me, so try it on for yourself and see if you like it!

Now, real fuel! Here are a few forms of calories/caffeine that I love to burn.


Americanos from Ink! coffee. Now I don't just say this because I work here, we have some of the best espresso I have ever tasted. Look at that crema... if you're americano doesn't look like that, you ordered the wrong drink (or are just at the wrong coffee shop).


Red Wine (full of antioxidants and a great way to indulge occasionally) and sushi (slow-burn carbs and protein, and absolutely delicious when well-made).  Gotta love going on a sibling date with your sister on a Friday! Wow... I'm so cool...


Homemade pizza? Yes please! I am definitely not a purist when it comes to pizza... Load that baby up with weird vegetables and anything but the ordinary sauce. BBQ sauce and Frank's Red Hot? Why not?

Well, I hope this gave y'all some insight into how I fuel my training, both physically and emotionally. Until next time, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment