Monday, October 10, 2011

Vindication

Now, this is going to be the first of 3 posts about my race in Myrtle Beach this past weekend. I've got a lot to say about it all, so I decided to break it up.

First of all, I got 2nd overall, meaning I qualified for a professional/elite license under USAT's F certification (basically stating that at any race ran in conjunction with an ITU cup race, the top 3 finishers will qualify for an elite card).

An Elite card (or pro card, the terms are used interchangeably) basically means that I can get into pro races (with bigger prize purses and different rules), get into basically any race I want (often at no charge and regardless of whether or not it is sold out to the public), and it helps me to acquire sponsors. Think of it like trying to get a job as a chef without a culinary degree, versus after attending Le Cordon Bleu Institute.

With this comes a great deal of change to my life. Obviously, while this is a huge accomplishment, I see it as just the beginning of something bigger... but more on that later! The focus of this post is to thank YOU! Here is a list of some special people who have helped me more than others in becoming a professional triathlete. Please keep in mind, I am scatterbrained and very caffeinated right now, so sorry if I forget anyone...

Mom and Dad: I don't even know how to begin to thank you. Supporting my decision to turn down dental school, coming to watch me race, helping me out financially when I am carbing up with PB&J's, and listening to me whine about slow-healing stress fractures are just a few of the things you have done for me these past years. Your love and guidance has been more than I could have ever asked for. If I ever have children, I hope to be half the parent that both of you have been to me.

The Tye Family: For getting me a membership to USAT, and for cheering me on, following the Pace Rabbit, and pedaling around with me when I am home. I can't tell you how great of a gift this has been!

To my Friends and Family: You are the base of my fan club, the ones I go to when I need a problem solved, a rock of consistency in my life of questions. If you knew how much you all meant to me, I wouldn't feel so guilty, but that is impossible for me to express.

Libbie and Sev: For getting me started on this blog, twitter, helping me find sponsors, teaching me about branding and image... and also for understanding why I have to leave at 9 PM for a tempo run, why I forgot to do the dishes because I was too tired, why my alarm goes off so damn early, and why I can't cook because I have to go train. You are the best roommates/agents I could ask for!

All my coaches over the years: For turning the chubby 9th grader into a scrawny distance swimmer with a chip on his shoulder. Especially Wyn for showing me that there was a hate-filled competitor inside this mild-mannered country boy.

To USA Triathlon: Especially Barb Lindquist. Your help in turning a swimmer into a multisport athlete has been more than I ever expected or even knew I needed. Thanks!

Well, you know who you are: For dumping me... Yeah, I said it. Had you not, I would be in dental school getting fat and stressed. In the aftermath of what happened, you gave me a new outlook on life, a whole ocean of frustration to fuel my training, and a need for a positive distraction which became triathlon. I am glad we are friends now and can talk about this. I hope I never lose track of you, and a part of me hopes you keep track of me in my endeavors.

To a few special friends for supporting and following me from the beginning: Burke, Cassie, Hogan and Lauren, Nate and Simon, Gibbs, the UWTC, and the UW swim team. When I feel like rolling over in a race, I think about you guys, and I know that I would not be able to face you again if I didn't give it my all. I mean it when I say that, and I wanted you to know.

To YOU!: for reading this! I like to think there are a few of you at least, so thanks for your support. I will continue to do everything I can to make you proud and to have something to write about.

To a couple Haters: Still think I should've chosen dental school? Well, perhaps, but just like the giant red button that says "DO NOT TOUCH," in telling me I made a bad life choice, you are only fueling my fire. Look at me now!

To my competitors: You keep doing what you do, and I'll keep doing what I do. I'll see you out there, and may the best man win on those Sundays... You ever try to catch a rabbit?

Sent to one or two very close friends after the race, I thought I'd share it with y'all now! Gotta love those bro-shades...

FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT! I mean come on, he's a professional...

No comments:

Post a Comment