Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Training update

Whatever happened to the days when I could just go for a run, ride, or swim? When I didn't have to worry about paces, heart rate, or nutrition?

Well, I'll tell ya. Those days should've gone away when I decided to give up a seat at dental school to pursue triathlon. They should've gone away again when I qualified for this sweet card that says "elite" instead of "Men 20-24." But, ultimately these days did not go away until I hired a coach. I've said it before and I'll say it again, having a coach has made all the difference.

Its the organization, the periodization of the training year, and the consistency that have taken me to that next level. Zane is a detail guy, and this has caused me to pay attention to those details as well and see how they fit into the big picture.

For instance, before every workout I think about what kind of mood I am in, what is on my mind, what my nutrition has been like that day, how I slept the night before, and what kind of soreness or fatigue I have from prior workouts. All of these things play a big role in how the workout will go, and if I make a note of them all, we can see how they trend.

This may sound like a lot to consider, but hey, its my job! And besides, it has paid off for me a ton. I now realize how consistent I have to be with nutrition, sleep, and attitude in order to have my training at the level I need.


Writing off purchases like wetsuits as "business expenses" is one of the perks of an elite license. Can't WAIT to try this thing out!


Had to trade in donuts for apples as snacks lately... ahh, sacrifices...


3.5 hour ride on my birthday... I'd be hard pressed to call this a "sacrifice" though... I finally got away from the concrete jungle! And the mustache made me faster.


Lovely evening ride up Lookout Mountain... I am just now realizing these pictures don't really have anything to do with the rest of the post... my bad...

What level, you ask, is the level I now need and can attain? Well, lets just say I have been hitting running and cycling paces that would've been unheard of as recently as 2 months ago, and I have been swimming times I haven't hit since I was in college. The intensity in my training has picked up a ton, basically since right after Clermont, and I can already tell I the athlete named Sam Holmes who will race in Mazatlan is not the same athlete who raced in Clermont.

Well I hope your training is going as well as mine is as the season starts to pick up! Until next time, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment