Sunday, April 15, 2012

Moving Home

Let's just go ahead and get it out on the table. It'll be quick, like ripping off a band-aid. I'm moving back in with my parents to train full time.

Yeah yeah, call me a quitter, or a mama's boy (partially true), or a slacker. Fact is, I gave up a seat in dental school to pursue triathlon, so I want to DO that as best as I can. I am moving home to cut costs, so that I can train full time, work part time, and then have money left over instead of spending it all on living, traveling, and business expenses... (yeah, like new bikes!) So you can call me whatever you want, but I will be watching the Star-Trek marathon from my parents basement between workouts!



Actually, I hate Star-Trek... and I will be keeping pretty busy.

You can probably tell from my last few posts that my training has been going awesome, but everything else in my life is falling to the wayside. This is not how I want to live my life, and when push comes to shove this means I am going to have to cut some things out. I am nowhere near ready to cut out triathlon, so I am moving home to cut a lot of the other stuff out that comes with living on your own as well as living in the city... and lets be honest, I am a country boy!

Yeah, my top-5 least favorite things include parking garages, stop-and-go traffic, and Affliction T-shirts. All of which are abundant in downtown Denver.



...Also topping the list are giant squid and any music by Pink or The Cranberries, but I can still avoid those in Nebraska.



And, most importantly, I won't have to be quiet when I cheer for the Huskers! And, CU football fans would be like, number 6 on that list of least favorite things... Yes Shook, Rachel, and Hogan, this includes you, but only on game days!



This is not a permanent solution. I love Colorado, and I know I will be back here within a couple years... Just not downtown Denver. This state is the perfect place for triathlon training, I just can't afford it right now. After a year at home, we will re-evaluate based on my training, race results, and savings, and go from there.

Now, expenses are obviously cut down by like, 90% by moving home, but I will basically have to act as my parents' groundskeeper and cleaning guy, which I am OK with. I have also got some sweet opportunities for part-time work that will fit in with my training. Bottom line is, I am not exactly going to be like Will Ferrell in Step Brothers, except that you do have to call me Night Hawk or I will put my balls on your drum set.


This decision may seem rushed, but I actually considered it pretty seriously right after college. This year in Denver has been awesome and I wouldn't trade it or any of the people I've met during it for anything. I am so grateful to have been given so many opportunities out here, and I hope to receive half that many when I come back. But, right now, I just can't make it work.

I will be moving the first week in May, but there are already lots of times in my schedule that I will be returning to the mountains. I am excited to move home and to be able to train full time and see where this takes my performance. I will miss Colorado, but its not like I am moving to Mars. I will totally come back and sleep on your couch for a weekend and train at altitude!

Wish me luck, because as soon as I move home, my training gets amped up! Thanks for your support, and FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment