Friday, March 23, 2012

Me-Time

You know when you go to a restaurant, and they give you 4 slices of toast, and only one pad of butter? Well, sometimes I feel like the tiny pad of butter, and all the roles I have to play in life are the giant slices of toast!

We could all use a hand sometimes, and I am so lucky to have such great friends and family who are so supportive and understanding of me and my commitments. But even with this incredible foundation of support, I can't have Libbie go to work for me, or have my mom finish this threshold workout for me.

Its true, as a professional triathlete who works, commutes, coaches, blogs (sometimes...) and tries to be a sociable human being, I can feel pulled in a lot of different directions at once. I think sometimes I would forget how to sit down if I didn't have to do so in order to ride my bike.

The only way to handle these many different roles is to manipulate them. Sometimes, I can't be the best boyfriend in order to be the best triathlete I can, so I have to cut the phone call short in order to get the sleep I need to recover (sorry, Anna). Sometimes, I can't be the best employee I can in order to be the best triathlete, so I finish the workout and come in a couple minutes late (sorry, guys).

I am sure this is the case with anyone who is pressed for time, and we all have to find our own ways of managing, but the most important thing to remember to take care of is YOURSELF!

My favorite "me-time" moments often include getting out of the city. Whether this be a trail run near Horsetooth Reservoir (which is amazing, if you haven't done it, you're missing out) or a long ride in the mountains this is an easy way to recharge the batteries away from traffic, parking garages, and the St. Patrick's day crowd on Blake Street.


A nice, long ride, all by my lonesome, at Chatfield reservoir. The phone was on airplane mode, so if you tried to reach me.... well... sorry!


Sometimes I just feel like cookin! Eggplant parmesan, late-night. Nobody to talk to but me.


Here is a hand when I needed one. Beat from a long day and a late night of training, I came home to find teriyaki tofu waiting for me. Thanks Libs and Sev!


Sometimes it just takes turrning my phone off and ditching an hour of sleep to read and eat a late dinner by myself. However it is that you get your "me-time," make sure that you get it! After all, the most important role we all play in life is that of ourselves. FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!! ... but only if it fits into your schedule...

No comments:

Post a Comment