Friday, January 27, 2012

Role Model

I realize that a lot of times people look up to me (I know, right? Poor souls...) for advice in training, diet, and general fitness. This is hugely flattering, I think some people don't realize that I have been given a lot of guidance in my years of swimming and now triathlon.

That being said, I have a pretty good chunk of knowledge from my experiences, and I definitely know what works and doesn't work for me. It is too vast a responsibility for me to say anything specific here, but I figure with some people's New Year's resolutions going strong (and some winding down) I could write a few of my own suggestions. But first, this disclaimer...


(In my best Lebron James voice) I AM NOT A ROLE MODEL!! Yes, this is me, eating a donut, on my trainer.

Here are my guidelines. Plain and simple though they are, I think they often get overlooked.

As far as exercise, do what you love. When people say they hate running or swimming or something, I ask them why they do it. "To stay in shape" is not a good enough answer, there are plenty of other enjoyable forms of exercise out there, and no one wants to hear you complain about something you choose to do.

Change your venue. I can't always get a good workout in on my trainer in my living room. But when I drive to Boulder where the weather is nicer to go ride, it puts a purpose behind my training and keeps me motivated.

Ease into it. This includes both an exercise regimen in general, and each individual workout. You will save yourself a lot of soreness and possible injury by doing this.

As far as diet, my first advice is never forget to indulge. Seriously, as long as you keep it to a minimum and realize that you are, in fact, indulging, its ok to have a donut instead of a PowerBar while on a trainer.

Second, and probably my favorite; eat like a very poor person. This is from great running coach Joe Vigil. Think less trailer park and more 3rd world. Fresh produce, rice and beans, minimal meat. (Seriously, try it!)

Finally, stay hydrated. I cannot stress how much this has helped me over the years. You'll eat less, retain less water, and generally feel better.

Well, these were short and sweet, and my workout tomorrow is not, so I am going to bed! FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

1 comment:

  1. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    Stearns Coleman Fill-Air Youth Size Boat Air Mattress

    ReplyDelete