Monday, January 30, 2012

Austin

This last weekend took me to Austin, Texas for a training weekend with my coach and a couple other athletes of his. I had really been looking forward to this opportunity to get some face time with Zane, work on my mechanics, and train really hard!


Nitro Pool in Austin. A beautiful facility, 8 lanes x 50 meters or 30 lanes x 25 yards. I got to teach my runner comrades a thing or two before we went to the fields to run!


I was given the opportunity for homestay with a very nice young couple. I have never felt more welcome in a place other than my own home. Seriously, they had english muffins and french press coffee waiting for me each morning, so the least I could do was cook them some quinoa risotto!


Town Lake. We did a 10 mile run here my last morning. I was amazed; the local run clubs set up water stations, and the course is full of people in a way that is crowded, but somehow welcoming.


My hosts' dog, Bama! He was my buddy from the moment I "accidentally" dropped a tortilla chip on the floor.


Here are the guys getting ready for a run mechanics session. I told them to act candid, so naturally someone made a smart-a$$ comment and everyone laughed. These guys could run, let me tell you. If they were gazelles, I would have been one hungry Kalahari bushmen this weekend.


Post-run breakfast at the Magnolia. Veggie omelette with banana pancakes which I could not finish (Anna you would've loved them!) and the not-so-great, very weak coffee that is so often served at otherwise great breakfast places.

As you can see, I met some AWESOME people and made some new friends, ate some great food, learned a ton and trained hard. I got lost on the bike (how can you tell which direction your facing without mountains?) did running drills till my calves seared, and swam like the fish I have turned myself into.

Now begins the next phase of my training, and frankly this day off has been a long enough wait for me! FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment