Monday, December 5, 2011

Commitment

Qualifying for my professional license was a life-changing event for me. I knew that soon, I was going to have to make some choices. I took a good look at my life and determined how much of it I wanted to dedicate to triathlon and making a successful career out of the sport.

I recently found a coach, which is something I have never worked with in triathlon. I have not yet discussed the whole blog thing with him yet, so I will keep his identity private for now. Anyway, part of the reason for me signing a coach was to take my training and racing to the next level. When we first talked, he asked me how I will know if I have been successful in the sport of triathlon. I had never thought of this before. 

What I decided was in however many years it is that I retire, I want to be able to say I did everything I could to be as fast and as competitive as possible. Regardless of how many races I win or how many championships I go to, I want to be able to say I gave it my all, literally.

This means I am going to need to make a few changes.


Diet. I eat pretty well, I feel like, but one of the things I have recently discovered is I am about 5-10 pounds too heavy for a triathlete. Conservatively, for every pound I drop, I will also cut 12 seconds from my 10k time... disgusting, I know.

Dear food,
I will miss you.
Love, Sam.


Girls. Yep, I like them too, but I don't know where they're going to fit in with training 20-30 hours a week, traveling to races, and being constantly tired. Maybe in another life, Sunshine.

Plus, I will have to pretty much give up the college lifestyle I have been living in order to accomplish what I want to accomplish, which will make meeting one pretty difficult. Sure, there's maybe one or two of you, who might be reading this for whom I would make an exception... but I don't think either one of you want anything to do with a triathlete who barely makes minimum wage.

The point isn't giving up girls so much as the lifestyle of a college swimmer. As I write this, I realize that is what I am getting at with this post. I am caught between being a college swimmer and a professional athlete, and I have just decided which one I want to be more. I need to start living the life of a pro triathlete.




Training. More of this... and better organized... and better focused. Dad, I love you, and you got me into this sport pretty much, but you know as well as I do that I need more guidance. Training is what I love to do and what I live for, hiring a coach has just made it so that I won't be flying by the seat of my pants.

I strongly encourage you to comment on this post. I know that a lot of you are my friends and family, and I will need your support and understanding as I make this life change. You all knew me when I was a college swimmer and you still liked me then right? Well then stay with me through this, the only difference is I don't have to pretend to study, and I might even make a little money! 

I need you all now more than I have ever needed ya's, so tell a friend, send me some love, and FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

3 comments:

  1. Hey space rabbit. I think it is super smart to get a coach. You don't need to train more you need to train smarter and a coach will help you do that. Just as long as this 'training' will not affect the time you need to spend on your fantasy basketball.

    If you make the commitment to train smarter and go all in with every aspect of your training, mental, emotional as well as physical I have no doubt that you will succeed in being able to say you left it all on the line and went as fast as you could.

    I admire your goal. In any sport where you cannot play defense your only goal should be to improve and give the maximum effort possible.

    Good luck Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your commitment! We are with you all the way! M and D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like that commitment is paying off ;) Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete