Thursday, September 15, 2011

Motivation

Something we could all use more of, right? Motivation is the catalyst that turns good intentions into great results. For me, this can be a struggle; it's easy to plan a week of training, but when that alarm goes off at 5:30, my memory foam mattress pad has its own intentions. When that happens here are a few tricks I use to spark the Fire and go feed my fast!

A few general guidelines first: 1) Motivation always decreases with time. This means, if you don't wanna go for a run now, you're REALLY not going to want to in an hour. So, JUST DO IT! 2) Don't approach things with an all-or-nothing attitude. If you're really not feeling it today, just say you're going half the distance you normally would. Hey, its better than nothing!

Morning Training:

1- Set my alarm across the room from my bed. That way, I have to actually get up to turn it off. Then, when I'm up, I do 10 jumping jacks. Try going back to sleep with your heart rate up!

2-Get everything ready the night before. This is a double-edged sword. Not only are you much less likely to get going if you have to take 10 minutes to find your shoes and watch, but you're also much less likely to go back to sleep knowing your running shoes are sitting at the foot of your bed, watching you be a lazy ass!

3-Coffee! I know it sounds simple, but trust me, it works. I set my coffee machine on delay brew, so it starts brewing 5 minutes before my alarm goes off. Then, when I wake up, I smell the coffee and can't help but feel the energy for the good fight.

Afternoon Training:

1-Be realistic: If you get off of work at 6, its pretty unlikely that you'll be able to squeeze in a 3 hour bike ride and still keep up your other obligations. Knock it down to an hour and a half, and then do another 90 minutes tomorrow.

2-Set a deadline: I am much more likely to get my training in if I schedule my afternoon around it. For instance, if I set a time to go for a swim, I will plan the rest of my day around the swim, making it seem like a priority, even if its not.

3-Take it one step at a time: This is bolded because it works like a charm. It also works great for the morning sessions. I start by saying "I'm just going to put my shoes on." Then, "I'm just going to pack my bag," and "I'm just going to get in the car and go to the pool," and finally "I'm just going to swim a few laps easy." By the time I am in the water and moving, the Pace Rabbit takes over and I have no choice but to MURDER a threshold workout!

If none of these work, try listening to some pump-up music! My favorite is an electronic group called Coyote Kisses... check them out here http://soundcloud.com/coyotekisses

Or, youtube some sick Under Armor Commercials... These guys know their target audience very well.


Well, I hope I helped you get off your butt and go enjoy this beautiful fall weather! Sorry, I didn't add any pictures this week, and it may have gotten a little wordy for you 3rd grade-level readers out there... :) But I am glad I got my word out. Feel free to contact me at any time with questions about training or anything else at pacerabbit@gmail.com. Until next time, follow the Pace Rabbit!

No comments:

Post a Comment