Thursday, September 8, 2011

Estes Park

What's up guys? The other day I needed to get out of the city, much like I do about once a week. I decided to head up to my old stompin' grounds, Estes Park. This is really where I became a triathlete. My passion and drive for triathlon may have been conceived on the country roads of Kearney, and born in Corbett Pool in Laramie, but it grew up in Estes Park.

Now, those of you who know me well understand that there is a lot of emotion attached to this little town for me, growing up and visiting here (always crying as we drove away) and living here for a couple summers have given me an attachment to Estes Park that most people never get. Anyway, I had an absolutely lovely day of training, and a great meal to top it off. Here are the pics.

 On the way up Trail Ridge Road. About a 20 mile climb out of Estes, with about 5,000 feet in elevation gain. These are the kind of views that make you believe in God.
 At the top of Trail Ridge Road! 12,000+ feet of altitude... My legs are wrecked, my teeth are chattering, and the coffee, chocolate milk, and bag of potato chips I just got from the ranger station are the best meal I have ever tasted.
 All downhill from here. This picture captures the raw beauty of the landscape nicely, but fails to grasp the speed of the descent. Looking down at my speedometer, I would simultaneously laugh with giddy joy and shudder with pure terror.

After a 3 and a half hour bike ride (that's 3 hours up, 30 minutes down), a 3k swim, and a 40 minute track workout, I reward myself with a pizza and an adult beverage from Poppy's.  I couldn't mention Estes without talking about Poppy's Pizza and Grill. My favorite place of work, and a dang good place to eat. If you're ever in Estes Park, stop by Poppy's and you'll not be disappointed. This is the #6, a vegetarian's dream with basil pesto, black olives, broccoli, and water chestnuts.

As I have said, I have a lot of memories from Estes Park. Some of them are among the worst I have, the hardest days of my life. Out of this negativity came the person I am today, though, and for that I am forever thankful. However, most of my memories from this charming little town (that is as much of a home to me as Laramie or Kearney or Denver) are among the happiest I can recall, and this lovely day added another to that list.

My next post will be on tips for motivation, something we could all use more of! Thanks for reading this,  it is good to know y'all are out there listening! Until next time, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Sam. I grew up going to Estes AND Poppy's pizza as well! Take care and keep it up!
    -Pierce

    ReplyDelete