Friday, September 13, 2013

#FBF: Wilson and Washburn Review

Its Friday again!

Living in Omaha means I get a whole bunch of new restaurants to try out. I heard a statistic a while ago that Omaha has the most locally-owned restaurants per-capita in the country... I don't know if that is still true, but either way, I will take it upon myself to review a whole mess of them for your enjoyment! I know, its a rough job, but I'll do my best. I will begin with Wilson and Washburn.

Wilson and Washburn is a new establishment in downtown Omaha on 14th and Harney. Slightly off the beaten path, not hugely advertised, and without a large sign out front, it is just the sort of place we hipsters love... See, we feel cooler than you when telling you about new places that you've never hear of. Anyway, the place is evidently named after two rather successful female brother owners. Add that to the early 20th century style decor, and it is a great nod to early Omaha.

The menu in and of itself is just impressive. When they say they have a "from scratch" kitchen, they mean it. House-smoked brisket, and house-ground beef? House-made ketchup? I mean, come on, don't these people have anything better to do than make their own, well, everything?? Obviously, it pays off. The food is as delicious as the 24 beers on tap... and yes, they are all weird hipster beers...

Rachel and I shared some beet chips, which were perfectly crispy with that salty, earthy, beet-y taste I love. For a main course I had the cheeseburger. House-ground beef really does make all the difference here. When its topped with cheddar cheese, caramelized onions, and heirloom tomatoes on a pretzel bun, it makes one of the best burgers I have ever had. And that is saying something. Rachel had the Mac n' Cheese, which was almost as good as my momma's. Buffalo mozz, asiago, and smoked gouda, covered with a truffle and panko crust. The whole meal took decadence to a whole new level, without the price tag.

As I said, the price was pretty reasonable, given the detail the owners put into the menu. Also, the service was impeccable. The bartender who helped us knew the menu backwards and front, and could pair any of the items with a great beer. I would like to see a full menu, rather than just a la carte, but given that it is predominantly a bar, I wasn't too upset about having to order my french fries separate from my burger.... after all, they were house-cut, and came with smoked ketchup. Well, until next time, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment