Monday, July 15, 2013

Dallas Re-Cap 2013

So, I realize this is quite late, but you're all used to that by now... In other news, this is the first time I've had to put a year on a race recap to keep it straight with the prior year, so that's pretty cool!

On June 1st, I raced in the Dallas Pan-Am Cup. Going in, I felt pretty well-prepared, although I knew the field was tough and it was going to be hot. I had done plenty of heat acclimation, and I felt like my head was on pretty straight. I stayed at the host hotel, which literally has the transition in its parking lot and several restaurants within walking distance, so I was set up nicely!

In the weeks leading up to this race, my goal was to finish top-10 and get some prize money. This is a good goal, but I think it caused me to focus on that outcome rather than on the process. A process goal would be something like "MAKE THE PACK ON THE SWIM!! YOU'RE A SWIMMER FOR GOD'S SAKE!!" But I was too worried about what might come later, and so I lost focus, didn't realize how far back I was in the water, and missed the breakaway group of 9 coming out of the water.

Now, in my own defense, I was probably not as fit in the water as I thought I was. Also, my warmup got cut short due to incoming weather (which never really came at all...) but so did everyone else's. And, I was leading a group going into the first buoy, but I got mauled by a bunch of people, like literally dunked. Not fun. Ultimately though, the loss of focus caused me to make bad judgements in the water which cost me that breakaway group. Making that group nearly guaranteed coming out in the money!

The bike was largely uneventful, except that our small group got caught by another small group, and then no one wanted to work anymore (except the breakaway!). OK, there was an incident involving me and another rider, so I figure I'll give my side of the story here.

I won't name names, but basically this guy and I had been running our group together, and doing a pretty good job until the groups joined. Now, we had been rotating to the right after taking a pull at the front, so after I took a pull I moved right. His front tire had crossed mine, so he was basically sitting where I was about to move, and when I did, we touched tires pretty hard and he went down... pretty hard...

It was an honest mistake on both of our parts, I wish him all the best, and I would never purposely do something to put one of my peers in danger.

I had a decent run given the conditions... which were hot and long... and wound up 18th overall. Obviously not what I'd hoped for. After the race I had to face some tough questions, and I came up with some good answers. I revamped my mental approach, and I really sharpened my swim. It is, after all, my weapon, and I wanna KILL with it!

Until next time, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment