Saturday, June 8, 2013

#FBF: The First Little Piggy...

Those of you who know me know I love a good challenge. Obviously, that kinda comes with the job description of being a professional triathlete, but I also love a culinary ironman, so to speak. Something I have always wanted to do as a "foodie" is roast a luau pig. Yep, I'm talking dig a pit, build a fire in it, put a whole pig on top of the coals, and bury it. Then, 16 hours later, enjoy some delicious pulled pork!

There are several problems involved with this. The biggest one, in my opinion, is finding enough people to eat a whole 250 lb pig... I love pulled pork sandwiches, but I'm not sure I want to eat them for the next 6 months... So, the idea came into my head to do it for my brother's rehearsal dinner, which will be out at my parent's house!

I was pumped... Andrew and Heather were a little apprehensive...

Long story short, I've decided to do a few trial runs over the course of the summer, the first one being just a pork shoulder to be interred early tomorrow morning and enjoyed tomorrow evening! There will certainly be a follow-up post on this, including some detailed instructions, what works, what doesn't work, what can be substituted (yeah, banana leaves are hard to come by in Nebraska!) and all that good stuff. I will even include pictures for my 3rd grade level readers out there!

I know, this is sort of a cop out, but I wanted to give everyone a preview of what's to come! Until next time, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment