Friday, March 29, 2013

FBF: Sozo American Cuisine

Now, I'd had the greatest intentions of cooking something spectacular this week and wowing you all with my culinary prowess... but it got to be a busy week with studying, training, and getting back into the rhythm of "normal life" (which is considered not traveling/racing). So, you're stuck with another restaurant review.

The other night Rachel took me to Sozo American Cuisine in Kearney, Nebraska for my birthday. Kearney is a small town, and the restaurant scene is a bit... lacking, shall we say... for a college town especially. If you're looking for date night, there are tragically few options that aren't stuffy and out-dated... I could really turn this into a whole other blog post... Anyway, I'm all about progressive cuisine with flashy plating, raw fish, and weird ingredients. The type of place my grandmother (who I do love dearly) would not want to eat at. So, Sozo was the place!

Those of you who knew it as The Venue and Legacy 272 will be pleasantly surprised to find the great atmosphere, wraparound bar, and general idea of the menu have not changed. While the service was good, it did not wow me. Having worked as a server I know this can be caused by anything from a bad tip earlier to stress from school, so I let it go.

Rachel and I ordered the tuna tacos as an appetizer to go with our beers. These were delicious! Tuna seared rare with Asian-style slaw, served in a crispy wonton shell and drizzled with a soy reduction is exactly what I wanted to celebrate my birthday. ORDER THIS APP!!

We both got salads for our entrees. Now I know what you're thinking, that salad isn't glamorous and shouldn't be included on date night, let alone a restaurant review. I say salad is a blank canvas, and I wanted to see what Sozo could paint... plus its on the Paleo Diet...

I had a steak salad with arugula, bleu cheese, roasted red peppers and balsamic reduction. All big flavors, but the smokiness of the peppers balanced perfectly with the sweet balsamic. And really, steak cooked medium rare and bleu cheese is always a winner. The meat was a little grisly, but well seasoned and perfectly cooked.

Rachel had a spinach chicken salad with apples, bacon, cranberries, and a maple vinaigrette. Strictly speaking, I had ordered this but we switched, so when I say this was the better salad it means I won dinner! The maple vinaigrette was amazing, and brought together the apples, chicken, and bacon... and plus it had bacon...

We finished the meal with one of their house-made desserts. A peanut butter fudge cake that was to die for. It was dense, rich, and decadent. I love that they make all their own desserts, and the choices change regularly. Always order a dessert if it is made in house!

All in all, I'd give Sozo an A rating. The ingredients are high quality and well prepared and beautifully plated, and it is very affordable. The service was good, and the atmosphere is great. It is perfect for a date night, although the bar and TVs make it great for game night with the guys too. Plus, its location right off the interstate is perfect for travelers. Don't go to the chain restaurants, get weird and try something new!

When you go, request one of the booths; the drapes make it feel very private and not like you're stuck in a dining hall. Order a tap beer and get the tuna tacos! Until next time, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment