Sunday, December 30, 2012

PowerBar Top-5

As a challenge to myself to bring in 2013, I have decided to write one blog post a day for one month straight. I think this will get me back in the rhythm of blogging more, so that you all can enjoy my steady stream of ranting BS....

In all seriousness, lately I have been slacking in my professionalism; not only in training, but in my commitments and in life in general. Well, I'd say the New Year is a good time to change that, but why wait until Tuesday?? Lets get started now!

To kick this off, I am going to fulfill a sponsor requirement for PowerBar, one of my sponsors for 2012 and 2013. For those of you who aren't familiar, PowerBar is one of the leading companies in the sports nutrition industry. I am glad to have them on board, both because their logo looks SICK on my race kit, and because their patented blend of glucose and fructose (called C2 Max) is shown to deliver 20-50% more energy to working muscles. I will spare you the biochemistry lesson and get down to my favorite things to snarf before, after, and during training!

#5: S'mores Triple Threat Bar
Ok, seriously, I don't feel like I need to go into a lot of detail here. You read the word s'mores, you're already sold. I use these for a quick snack while at work or on the go. They taste great, and with protein and the C2 blend of carbohydrates, they keep you going longer than a candy bar, and taste even better.

#4: Peanut Butter Performance Energy Bar
When I found out PowerBar had their classic bars in peanut butter flavor, the fat kid inside me wiped his Kool-Aid stained mouth with a sweaty hand and jumped up and down with delight... for a few seconds before he got tired. Anyway, I carry at least one of these on any ride longer than 40 miles, and scarfed 2 of them in my last HalfRev race. Again, energy that works, but also tastes great.

#3: Cola Energy Blasts
From the time I first started cycling as a sullen 15 year old, my Dad always taught me that there is no better way to stave off a bonk or bring you back from the dead than an ice cold, real Coke. Well, Dad, I beg to differ. Cola Energy Blasts from PowerBar have that same coke taste, C2 Max blend, as well as caffeine to jump start your dead batteries. A word to the wise; when taping these to your top-tube for a race, consider keeping them in their packaging when in Dallas in June... cleanup gets a little, well, sticky.

#2: Dulce de Leche Protein Plus Bar
Yep, you read that right. Not only does it taste like dulce de leche, its got 30 grams of protein to rebuild muscle, stabilize blood-sugar, and keep you satisfied after a workout or for a meal on the go. More importantly for me, its got a nice chew to it. I don't know about y'all, but I like a protein bar that has just the right amount of chewiness, somewhere between shoe leather and phyllo dough...

#1: Strawberry Banana Energy Gel
So you get this gel from a vendor at a race right. Its last minute, you tell him your with PowerBar so he hooks you up, and you end up taping it to your top tube along with four of its brothers. At mile 15 on the bike, you throw one down and think you've been given a frozen yogurt with EPO in it... and you pretty much have... minus the EPO, and add some caffeine and C2 Max... Well, that's a nice story, and that's how it happened to me (and its been love ever since!), but don't wait for your next race, go out and buy some now!

Well, this is just a fraction of the great products offered by PowerBar. Check out my favorites at powerbar.com and let me know what you think of them. Feel free to add a few of your favorites to this list and spread the word! Until tomorrow, FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment