Thursday, February 23, 2012

Valentine's Day for Triathletes

So, this post is a little late... ok a lot late, but I have had a busy week and I still wanted to post this ok??

Being a pro triathlete is a tough life, and that means dating one is a tough life too. In fact, the only benefits I can think of are that we look good naked and you get to tell all your friends you are dating a professional athlete! (Just leave off the "tri" at the beginning to avoid the awkward "what's that??" conversation)

Yep, aside from the top tier, you're basically just a scrawny dude who trains full time like an NBA player, but has the paycheck of a hobo who can occasionally sell a crack rock for a few hundred bucks. Do they cost that much? I don't know, I'm trying to correlate with a prize purse here.

So if you're unfortunate enough to be dating one of us, you can certainly tell people whatever you want, but really you're dating a bum who works at a bike shop and works out like an exercise bulimic. Yeah sure, you may want to go out on a Friday night, but... well... your significant other has to get to bed since he/she has a long ride in the morning... sorry...

Now, I obviously wouldn't be writing this if I was single. This poor girl had no idea what she was getting herself into when she started dating me, and I didn't either. I sort of felt like the dog who always chases cars and then finally catches one... what did he think he was gonna do?? But, its been a learning experience for both of us.

I'm still new to this, but I have learned the best way to avoid problems is to COMMUNICATE up front! She wasn't exactly thrilled the first time she came to visit me only to find out I had a 3 hour bike ride and a 5k swim on the Saturday she was hoping to spend together... This is crucial in any relationship, but I think it is particularly so when I am working 30 hours a week and training 30 more hours a week.

In a nutshell, communicate, be open, be realistic about your time, and make sure you have your priorities in order! Not that I'm Dr. Phil here...


See? Dating triathletes isn't ALL bad...

FOLLOW THE PACE RABBIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment